Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Outdated Craigslist Dresser Turned Chic TV Console


This project has been a labor of love for a LONG time. It's been mostly finished for awhile now, but since I'm not completely done with it I was hesitant to share it...I'm not good with surprises, though, and couldn't wait any longer! As most things do these days, it all started with Pinterest. Specifically with these inspirations here, here, here, and here. So, many, many months ago I began my Craigslist search for the perfect old dresser. I knew that I wanted something solid wood with lots of character and I knew what ballpark dimensions I was looking for (something about 30" tall so our TV wouldn't be too high for watching and something almost six feet long but not an inch bigger so there would be ample storage - besides looks, storage is the main reason I opted to go with a dresser).

One of these days I'll have to share my tips for searching Craigslist. My number one tip, though, is PATIENCE. It usually takes a while to find exactly what you are looking for (my only exception to this rule so far is the Ikea mirror that I randomly saw listed one day). So after months of scouring Craigslist, a visit to one of the shadiest places I have ever been to (just a reminder to NEVER go alone to look at anything you are wanting to buy from Craigslist, safety first), and sending my hubby to pre-screen dressers in not one but two neighboring towns, I finally found the one. The round brassy hardware is what sold me on this one...along with just the right dimensions (this is the picture from the Craigslist ad - it looks a lot prettier in this picture than it did in person, it had a hideous greenish-honey hue to the wood finish that couldn't be sanded off, otherwise we may have kept it as is):


So, because I'm pregnant and have the most amazing hubby ever, this TV console project was 100% my idea but at least 95% of the work was executed by him (let's just say my hubby has NOT been bitten by the DIY bug - so it is a huge deal that he spent so much time making this what I wanted it to be). We started out by letting the dresser air out outside for a good two weeks (it had an unpleasant mothball/musty smell going on). Then it was all wiped down inside and out, given a light sanding, primed with oil-based primer, and finally given two+ coats of white paint (the same white paint we used for our bedroom picture ledges). There was some light sanding between coats of paint as well. Here is the finished product again:


There's much more I want to do this console, specifically lining all the drawers with some pretty paper (I'm in LOVE with this wallpaper so I want to find something similar and for a fraction of the price...probably some gift wrap), AND I have lots of organization projects in mind! I want to use all the drawers to house our DVD/Blu-ray collection, Wii components, and some of little J's toys (possibly our photos as well). But, baby steps! I recently came down with shingles...ugggh...so I'm learning that things will get done when they get done, and the most important thing is to stop stressing so much/stay healthy for myself, and especially for this baby that I'm carrying!

Since I've never shared pictures of our family room before I thought I'd give you a peak! Disclaimer, as is the case with most of our house, everything always seems to be a work in progress (I'm always changing my mind and always trying to be frugal/green with how we spend our time/money updating it which makes for some serious delayed gratification). This picture was taken at the beginning of the year (before we made simple updates like homemade pillow covers) - I never realized how dark/gothic this room looked until I saw these photos (DEFINITELY not the look I was going for):


And this is where we're at today:


There's much more to be done to this room:
  • DIY-ing a frame for that map behind the TV
  • more DIY wall decor/framed photos, etc.
  • I'm still not sold on my pillow choices
  • ottoman switcheroo?
  • rug/curtains/paint???
But I'm so much happier with the direction this room is headed and the switch from the boxy TV hutch to the chic TV Console was a HUGE improvement! (By the way, I already sold the TV hutch on Craigslist which made up for over half of what we spent on the dresser!) So what are you updating these days? Any exciting Craigslist finds to share?

PS - I'm linking up this post with House of Hepworths, Your Green Resource, Liz Marie, The Shabby Nest, Thrifty Decor Chick, Young House Love, and Bower Power

10 comments:

  1. rad! My DIY bug is totally biting me, but it's SO hard to do when you don't have a Home Depot or craft store nearby.

    Love the update! That's pretty much what I've been doing since I got here...hand sanding (bc I left the orbital sander at home, boo) and repainting old furniture! I love that you can spend next to nothing and have an awesome one-of-a-kind piece when you're finished. Good job, Bethie and Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you've been working on, Erin! Especially that turquoise chest of drawers...SO preeeety. How do you find the supplies you're looking for in Japan!?

    Elisabeth@Simply Parkers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dresser makeover! I just updated a 1970s vanity-- it's amazing what a few coats of paint can do. I'm having pillow cover envy over here too...is that Amy Butler fabric? Thanks for the inspiration!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks for stopping by Abby! The fabric is Suzani Summerland/Natural by Premier Prints (http://www.premierprintsfabric.com/SUZANSLNA.shtml). I do love Amy Butler designs, though, and they can be found other places around my house :)

    Elisabeth@Simply Parkers

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks fabulous! Great makeover - you really refreshed that piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! Isn't it amazing what a little paint can do to update an old dresser? I love that you kept the handles the same too. I really like your pillows & the map behind the TV!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! The hardware was my favorite part of the piece...definitely what sold me on it. Hopefully we can get a frame made for the map one of these days. I would LOVE to find some reclaimed wood to make that happen.

      Elisabeth@Simply Parkers

      Delete
  7. I love it!!! I love the smooth, clean lines of the piece and white you painted it! I just transformed a dresser into a TV stand and would love it if you checked it out!
    http://karicorsi.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-bright-transformation.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about a crisp, white piece of furniture just gets me :) Off to check our your tv stand!

      Elisabeth@Simply Parkers

      Delete