Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Cloth Diapering - 101

Let's talk about cloth diapers! Five years ago if you had asked me if I planned to use cloth diapers when I had kids I would have died laughing. I thought it was the grossest thing I had ever heard of. BUT, just a couple years ago, I realized that people my age were in fact using cloth diapers again and that there was a cool cloth diaper store in my own town. By the time we were ready to start think about having kids I was totally on board with this new generation of cloth diapering mamas. When I took into consideration the money we'd save and the positive impact we'd make on the environment, it really was a no-brainer. Sure I was still grossed out by the laundering issue, but let me tell you, poop is poop. It's just as gross to deal with in a disposable as it is in a cloth diaper. Not joking (and honestly, the number of blow-outs I've had using disposables FAR outnumbers those I've had using cloth diapers). I know there are many of you out there that 1) are incredibly skeptical (and think I'm crazy!) 2) are curious, or 3) are cloth diapering mamas yourselves. If you are in any of those categories I hope you'll keep reading my posts on cloth diapering and maybe I can change your mind, cure your curiosity, or you can leave a comment to offer even more cloth diapering wisdom to those in categories 1 and 2.

So, let's get started. Cloth diapering has come a long way since scary diaper pins and ridiculous rubber pants. There are actually a TON of new and amazing cloth diapering options out there, but don't let them overwhelm you. They can easily be broken down into four main options:

1) Pre-folds & Covers
2) Fitteds & Covers
3) Pocket Diapers
4) All-In-Ones (AIO's)

I would love to break down those four options for you and tell you the pros and cons of each, but that's already been done (more eloquently and concisely than I could have written) in this article by Katie Fox on Simple Mom. And while you're over there, be sure to explore the PLETHORA of cloth diapering information Simple Mom has already neatly listed and organized for you in ONE place, a one-stop-shop for all things cloth diapering. Man, if I had only known about this amazing resource before I began my own cloth diapering research it would have saved me HOURS!

Now that you know the cloth diapering lingo and four main options, stay tuned for my own cloth diapering expertise. You can research and read reviews and articles all you want, but at the end of the day, there's nothing more valuable than your own trial and error AND the advice of friends like me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment