Thursday, November 3, 2011

Goo-Be-Gone, Naturally

On any given day the space next to my sink looks like this:


Multiple jars with leftover label adhesive, just waiting to be cleaned and reused. I had hoped to collect enough used jars for my pantry overhaul, but just because that didn't happen doesn't mean I won't continue saving and reusing glass jars as they come in. But why oh why do product labels have to be SO dang sticky!? Here's my method (perfected when we repurposed Frappuccino bottles I solicited off of Craigslist for Little J's birthday) for getting rid of that annoying goo naturally:


1) The tools: peanut butter and an old toothbrush (I keep a separate little dish of peanut butter labeled "Don't Eat" with the stuff I use for goo removal).

2) Apply a thin layer of peanut butter over the goo residue on your jar. Let it sit overnight or at least for a few hours.

3) After you've let it sit, run it under hot water, and scrub off the peanut butter with the toothbrush. The peanut butter takes the goo right with it.

4) Sometimes peanut butter alone will do the trick, but if it doesn't, add a couple drops of Dr. Bronner's to the toothbrush and scrub a second time. If the goo is particularly stubborn, try scrubbing with Dr. Bronner's using something more abrasive (I use the rough side of a natural fiber sponge).

That's it, 1-2-3-4, and you have a clean, pretty jar ready to reuse!


01/03/11 - I'm linking this post up with "Your Green Resource"
on Live Renewed, Sorta Crunchy, A Delightful Home, and the Greenbacks Gal

7 comments:

  1. Wow that's so cool. Thanks for this! I am going to repost this on NZ Ecochick's facebook page. Will definately be doign this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, thanks! Hope it works for you and your readers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Who would have though PB would take goo off?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so trying this! I always have jars next to my sink because I hate taking the label off. I usually hope my husband will go so nutso by the jars that he will work on them. :)

    Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh, I've never tried PB! I swear by eucalyptus essential oil - it smells divine and I've never found anything better for removing goo. In Australia, we can buy it at the grocery store, as eucalyptus is a common Australian plant, but I'm not sure about America?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, interesting! Haven't seen it available here...I should probably plan a trip to Australia to get some :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great, Madeline! Thanks for linking! I thought that steel wool would work well...I just didn't have any. Good idea! I'll have to pick some up to make the process even easier :)

    ReplyDelete