Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Almost $10 Picture Ledges

Well, the hubby and I started this project back in February?? (I think I actually posted about it in March). I am happy to report that it is finally done...almost. Our version of Ana White's $10 picture ledges (which probably cost us closer to $15/each):



The ledges themselves are finished...they are built and attached to the walls. I say "almost" done because I still need to tweak a few things on the ledges (that currently have scrapbook paper as place-holders) and find a frame for my beautiful Poppy & Pinecone print:


I have been in love with gallery walls ever since I saw Young House Love's wall o' frames and a bunch of others I have pinned on Pinterest, but Ana White's picture ledges were ultimately the best fit for what we needed: a place for so many mismatched frames we have received as gifts over the years. I thought about spray painting all the frames white like Ana White did on her shelves, but I couldn't bear to lose some of the funkier qualities of the frames (and even opted to make a couple of the frames even funkier by spray painting them neon and teal) and I like the contrast of the black frames as well.

The overall theme of stuff on the shelves is things / places we love. These are just a couple of my favorites (I'll have to include more pictures later because I really love it all):


From left to right, 1) the frame I spray painted a cheerful neon-y green, 2) a fortune cookie fortune that I loved: "God looks after you especially" back-dropped by some super sparkly paper leftover from Christmas, 3) A print Josh got me after we'd only be dating for a month (it was for Valentine's day...music is super important to me which is why this print means so much to me, he already knew me so well even after only a month!), 4) a Schilling from when I studied abroad in Vienna (I was there the year before Europe switched to the Euro and made sure to collect my fair share of beautiful coins from all over Europe before they were gone forever...someday I might just have to frame them all).

Here's nice before and after:


And a few more angles. Let me know what you think! And if you've ever tried any Ana White projects...I'd love to see them :)



12 comments:

  1. Such a dramatic difference! I love Ana White and will have to check these out; I have a TON of places these shelves would look good. It's even better when they're filled with memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Junky Vagabond and Jos! I really appreciate you stopping by :) Off to check out your blogs!

    Elisabeth@Simply Parkers

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture ledges turned out great! It really added a lot of character to that wall. Thanks for linking up at Doodles & Stitches :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made these for my kids rooms. Yours look awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Irma! I just checked out your blog and am drooling over your whole house...gorgeous!

    Elisabeth@Simply Parkers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I have a shelf like this but have the hardest time getting the frames to balance on and look the way I want on the shelf. You have a great eye for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thanks Mandy! Just keep playing around with it :) That's the best thing about these shelves rather than attaching the frames directly to a wall. You can change up the arrangement anytime you want!

    Elisabeth@Simply Parkers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have moved to an Asst. living facility and want to know how I can make the picture ledges without putting nails or screws into the walls, which I think might not be allowed? I have some wall pictures hung up when I moved here about 2 months ago. My family hung up the pictures for me, but think they already had wire on back of them. I'm hoping one large one doesn't fall on my head at night and kill me! What about using Command products to hang up the picture ledgers? Does Anna White have these ledgers in her book or blog?

    ReplyDelete