Monday, July 23, 2012

DIY Chalkboard {Repurposed Cupboard Door}

If you follow me on Facebook, you might have seen this picture I posted a few weeks ago:


Cupboard doors that I picked up at my local Habitat for Humanity Restore. In the past I have looked for cupboard doors from the Habitat store to repurpose into signs like this for gifts:


But this time around I had something a little different in mind! So, without further ado:


I am so in love with my "new" chalkboard. Hanging up in our kitchen / dining room area it has already come in so handy!


Fun quotes, birthday / holiday countdowns, menu boards...chalkboards are so fun!


So how do you make your own?
  • Find an old cupboard door with an inset center panel (check both sides of the cupboard door, sometimes the back has an inset panel). With the inset center panel you get the appearance of a framed chalkboard.
  • Paint cupboard door your desired color. I just picked a shade of turquoise acrylic craft paint from my stash. I only painted the "frame" part of the cupboard door and the outer edges of the inset panel.
  • The inset panel is your chalkboard surface. Tape it off and paint with chalkboard paint if that is your desired medium, or, if you're like me, buy some chalkboard contact paper or vinyl. The reason I chose to go with contact paper (vinyl works too) was because I wanted the option to write with chalkboard pens (which apparently do not work properly on chalkboard paint).
  • Install a cup drawer pull upside down to store some chalk. Look around your Habitat store for a drawer pull to reuse, or you can find them at Home Depot for as little as $2!
  • Choose a method to hang your chalkboard. I went with 3M picture hanging strips - they are AWESOME! Don't know why I haven't invested in these before now.


It goes without saying that I found LOTS of  inspiration for this project on Pinterest...SO many cute chalkboard projects to be found there!

So how about you? Have you given into the chalkboard craze?

PS: I'm linking this post up with House of Hepworths, Liz Marie, and "Your Green Resource" (on Live Renewed, Sorta Crunchy, A Delightful Home, and the Greenbacks Gal)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my heck, look at how crafty you are!! I LOVE it!! I love the little chalk cubby holder too. You did such a good job with it! Can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve on this lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Can't claim too much credit for the idea since I see very similar ones on Pinterest, but I appreciate it :) Thanks so much for stopping by!

    Elisabeth@Simply Parkers

    ReplyDelete