Wednesday, May 18, 2011

For the Mamas

I'm not sure how many of the male types I have reading my blog...but this one's for the ladies. For the mamas to be exact! (By the way, though, I appreciate all my male-type readers...especially the hubby!) I've been meaning to write a post about a topic that is near and dear to my heart for a while now: reusuable nursing pads. Breastfeeding is an amazing gift, and if it is something you are able to do, I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend using reusuable nursing pads! Like the other cloth things I stand behind (cloth diapers and napkins to name a couple), reusuable nursing pads are an awesome, easy, greenish option. I don't know how much disposable nursing pads cost, but I'm glad they're one cost I don't have to worry about!


For 10 months I have gotten by with 6 pairs of reusable pads. I just throw them in with the rest of my laundry in a mesh bag (usually with my towels or whites, the loads I wash on warm). Totally simple. I've never had any leaks using them and because they're made from natural fibers, they're totally breathable which is great for the skin. I found mine at my local cloth diapering store, they're called Pink Daisy, they're velour, and made from an organic cotton/hemp blend.

If you're interested, Pink Daisy isn't the only brand available. I have seen some cute homemade options available on Etsy and I recently learned about a local company called Buttercups (such a cute and clever name).  In fact, one of my new favorite blogs, Peas and Happiness, just posted an interview with the creator of Buttercups and is currently hosting a giveaway! You should definitely hop over there and check it out (I think you you have until tomorrow afternoon to enter, the winner will be chosen tomorrow evening 05/19/11).

Photo courtesy of Becerra Photography

Anyway, if you are a breastfeeding mama I hope you'll give reusable nursing pads a shot! If you're already using them, which are your favorites? I'd love to hear about more available options out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment