Wednesday, June 29, 2011

From Clean to Green - Part II

You probably thought I was never going to get to part II. Well here it is! So, in the last post I kind of jumped in at the end of our transition from clean to green, but the whole process to greenify our cleaning supplies began years and years ago with our dish soap. We switched from whatever we were using (I can't even remember what it was now) to cucumber scented Method dish soap (here's their latest dispenser - they're always designing cool new bottles).


Image from Method

I can't say that at the time my motives were purely green. In all truthfulness, I loved the scent, the color of the soap, and the shape of the bottle. Nonetheless, my love affair with Method and environmentally friendly cleaning products began. From there it moved on to their Daily Shower Spray which also comes in a larger refill bottle (using this product daily or at least every couple days really helps our shower stay clean between scrubbings). And from there it moved on to the full line-up of products (well, not really the FULL line-up, but a lot of their products). Most recently, we ended up buying their cleaning wipes (you probably read about my obsession with disinfectant wipes in part I). The jury is still out on those. For the price they're not really worth it (even though they were on sale AND I had a coupon when I bought them), so, not sure what my next move will be in the wipes department. I'm still hoping for a clean break from them all together, but baby steps I guess. Of course I may or may not still be holding out for the day when Costco carries greenish disinfectant wipes in large quantities at a good price :)

But back to the beginning, about the same time that I purchased my first bottle of Method dish soap, I also began using baking soda and white vinegar for various cleaning tasks (a tip from my parents that I don't know why didn't catch on earlier). Those two ingredients separate and combined make for an awesome, inexpensive, greenish line-up just by themselves. I also love buying these two items from Costco because they come in huge packages for a great price (huge packages=less total packaging=less waste=extra greenish bonus points).

Images from Costco

Now back to the love affair with Method, I love Method products and there are probably a number of items I will keep using, but with their prices (and taking the packaging into consideration - only a few items come in larger refill sizes) I have recently been thinking more and more about better utilizing my beloved baking soda and vinegar. I also purchased my first bottle of Dr. Bronner's a couple months ago (if you read my post on the coolest thing ever, a homemade soap dispenser with homemade foaming soap, you probably caught a glimpse of the almond-scented Dr. Bronner's) and I have been scouring (hehe, pun intended) the blogosphere for other tips on homemade green cleaning concoctions. Stay tuned for more info on that.

So here's the part where you tell me that you love Method just as much as I do (I know at least a couple of my readers are smitten). Or tell me how you utilize baking soda and vinegar for various household tasks. Or better yet, share your other greenish, homemade cleaning concoctions for all to see, I'd love to hear about them!

6 comments:

  1. love method!! all my bathroom cleaners are method as well as my window cleaner, leather couch cleaner and furniture cleaners. however, i use vinegar and baking soda too! a mixture of equal parts vinegar and water is a great carper spot cleaner!! also, use baking soda to clean the oven instead of those harsh sprays. my mom uses ammonia to clean all of her windows. i have found some good links for making your own cleaners as well.

    http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried it on carpet before, great idea! And thanks so much for the link...I'm going to have to check it out. I also knew I could count on you for sharing some Method love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a total sucker for cool packaging. And, I'm going to try the baking soda/vinegar on a carpet stain that's been plaguing me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use a vinegar soap mixture in my bathroom. I found a homemade recipe online somewhere (I can't remember where now)and I was amazed at how well my bathtub and counter tops shined. It is a mixture of vinegar, water, and dish soap. Vinegar is also the best deodorizer I have found. It takes care of urine smells better than bleach (potty training a boy can be messy sometimes).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, potty training sounds like an adventure! I'll have to put that vinegar tip on the back burner. So how many parts vinegar to water to dish soap do you use in your mixture? I am ALWAYS searching for a better way to clean our shower (the bane of my existence), so I might have to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great vinegar laundry tips! Vinegar is also a great natural fabric softener...I've added before to the fabric softener dispenser section of the washer. Where do you add yours?

    ReplyDelete